On Veterans Day, the Minnesota Digital Library (MDL) joins the nation in honoring military veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. For those interested in learning more about the wartime experiences of Minnesotans over the years, MDL encourages you to explore our six-part online exhibit series titled “War Stories.”
The “War Stories” exhibits include the perspectives of Minnesotans who lived through wars, from the Civil War to the Vietnam War. Veterans recorded their experiences in letters, diaries, photographs, and interviews, which are highlighted in each exhibit. All six online exhibits can be found on MDL’s Exhibits page. You can also go directly to them using these links:
- Civil War: Discover how Minnesotans proved their worth to the country by fighting in the Civil War.
- Spanish-American War: Explore the words and images of Minnesotans who participated in this international conflict.
- World War I: Witness the service and sacrifice of Minnesotans who lived through the Great War.
- World War II: Meet some Minnesotans who joined the world in a fight against oppression and tyranny.
- Korean War: Experience the “Forgotten War” through the words and views of Minnesota veterans.
- Vietnam War: Learn about the consequences of a long war fought far from home against Communism.
Some of these exhibits contain only a fraction of the materials available in MDL from each war. But others – particularly the Korean and Vietnam War exhibits – include nearly everything we have. Like many events in recent history, these wars are not always well preserved in many archives or historical collections. We encourage you to browse or search MDL to see what is available, and if your organization has something to contribute related to these wars, please contact us!
Image caption: World War I veterans in Belle Plaine, c. 1919. Scott County Historical Society collection, https://collection.mndigital.org/catalog/scott:284