Text courtesy of McKenzie County, North Dakota.
The Library Director plans, organizes, manages, directs and implements the goals of the McKenzie County Public Library Board. This position works with the Board of Trustees on both fiscal and developmental levels, serving as chief budget developer and purchasing agent, developing and evaluating short and long term strategic plans, determining community need based on service area and demographics, promoting literacy for the benefit of all residents of McKenzie County, while maintaining commitment to customer service, public relations and developing strong community ties. This position reports to the Board of County Commissioners and is located in Watford City, ND . Level and salary commensurate with experience. To apply, visit McKenzie County's online job post.
Essential Job Functions
- Serve as primary purchasing agent for the Library
- Plan, schedule and participate in Library programming for all ages
- Resolve patron complaints
- Create, promote and maintain positive community relations; market the Library to current and prospective patrons
- Promote innovative thinking, teamwork, openness and a safe work environment
- Manage Library staff
- Review financial records/reports, sign payment requests, prepare and administer the annual budget
- Generate, mail and retain record of patron bills, coordinate with the State’s Attorney’s Office to generate, mail and retain record of letters of collection
- Develop, implement and evaluate goals and objectives, both long and short range
- Maintain social media accounts belonging to the Library, as well as the official Library website
- Maintain relationships with other governmental agencies and other departments in the County
- Catalog all materials entering the Library collection; manage collection development
- Schedule, prepare for, and attend meetings with the Library Board
- Train all staff on the Bookmobile routes and operation; serve as an alternate driver
- Develop and draft Library policies and policy amendments
- Conduct inventory of all materials in the collection, including the Bookmobile
- Train all new staff on policies and procedures as they relate to the Library
- Other duties as assigned for business needs
- Bachelor’s Degree in Library Science, Information Science or a related field
- 5 years of management experience
- 5 years working in a Library
- 3 years working in a Customer Service based role
- Valid Drivers License
- Notary Public Commission
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must be able to report to Watford City, ND daily at required schedule time
- Physical requirements and working conditions:
- Must possess the ability to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, copier, files, telephone and fax; maintain attention to detail despite interruptions, vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the phone
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, kneel, stoop, sit, walk extensively
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Level and salary commensurate with experience; starting at $84,209.
McKenzie County offers an excellent benefit package including:
- Health Insurance
- Health & Child Care Flexible Spending
- Program Group Life Insurance
- Retirement - Optional Deferred Comp Plan
- Vacation, Sick Leave, and Paid Holidays
An applicant who is a resident of North Dakota and eligible to claim veterans preference must abide by the Department of Veterans Affairs guidelines (available on the North Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs website) and submit any documentation with an otherwise complete application.
McKenzie County is an equal opportunity employer, including disabled and veterans.