Come work with the Cooperative Purchasing team at Minitex! The E-Resources Librarian position helps libraries of all types to save time and money through cooperative purchasing. Last year, we helped Minnesota libraries save $5.6M on e-resources and library products. Gathering together also helps us to advocate for shared library priorities in the e-resource environment.
You could be a part of this exciting, impactful work. We offer flexibility in scheduling and remote work options, support for your professional development, and a welcoming work environment that emphasizes work-life balance. Our offices are located near downtown Minneapolis on the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus. The area features an abundance of restaurants, coffee shops, trails, lakes, parks, and cultural institutions.
Minitex is a state-funded library organization located at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Our mission is to strengthen libraries, cultural institutions, and the communities they serve. We connect libraries and individuals with information, ideas, and experiences to enrich lives and strengthen communities.
We are dedicated to supporting the library community in Minnesota. We also support libraries in South Dakota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, and beyond. Our staff are dedicated professionals, always looking for new and innovative ways to serve. Learn more about us and our full range of services at https://minitex.umn.edu/.
The Cooperative Purchasing and Electronic Resources Services (CPERS) unit includes two E-Resources Librarians and one Library Products Specialist, under the leadership of the Minitex Associate Director. We work with hundreds of libraries and dozens of vendors each year to facilitate discounted access to e-resources from vendors like EBSCO, Elsevier, and ACS, as well as library products like RFID tags, barcode scanners, and other security products. Our priority is cost and time savings for participating libraries.
The E-Resources Librarian is part of the Cooperative Purchasing and Electronic Resources (CPERS) unit and works with Minitex staff and libraries in the region to assist in the review, selection, licensing, promotion and evaluation of electronic information resources from various vendors on behalf of participating libraries. The incumbent both leads and supports collaborative acquisition and negotiation to save libraries time and money. They act as a liaison between libraries and vendors on orders and renewals, consult with libraries regarding access to and delivery of electronic resources in a collaborative environment, and assist libraries in the use of electronic resources. They work independently with nominal supervision.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in library science or foreign equivalent
- Minimum 2 years professional library experience in e-resources, acquisitions, the publishing industry, or comparable environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of current practices in the e-resources field
- Ability to engage with library staff and vendors and facilitate conversations and collaborative projects
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
- Contract negotiation experience
- Vision for collaborative action in e-resources and scholarly publishing fields
Product offers and customer service: (65%)
- Work with vendors to negotiate pricing structure and to gather product details
- Review vendor agreements, negotiate contract terms, and identify and advocate for library priorities
- Create web content for product advertisement
- Advertise product offers via emails, newsletters, handouts, and website
- Coordinate order and renewal process for participating Minitex libraries
- Approve invoices and specify billing costs
- Provide basic service and support to Minitex libraries on implementation of e-resources as well as trouble-shooting access issues
- Evaluate organizational investments in product packages and vendor partnerships
- Lead internal reporting on cost savings for participating libraries
Outreach and Engagement: (25%)
- Identify opportunities for collaborative projects to serve the e-resources community and provide leadership in engaging library staff and vendors around those projects
- Coordinate site visits to 2- and 4-year institutions, public libraries, and state government libraries in Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota to share information about Minitex CPERS unit
- Participate in external library meetings as appropriate
- Provide information to libraries about the products they get from Minitex
- Attend local and national conferences in order to maintain vendor relationships and product awareness, and to engage with developments in the library field
Products sales support: (5%)
- Serve as occasional back-up and support to CPERS Library Products Specialist
- Maintain awareness of physical products sales and inventory processes
- Maintain awareness of physical products marketplace
Professional Development: (5%)
- Review current print and electronic literature and electronic lists to follow trends and developments in the field
- Attend training when appropriate
- Stay abreast of new products, changes in products and advances in the field of e-resources so as to better serve our libraries
WORK LOCATION AND TRAVEL: Position operates in a hybrid work environment, with some amount of time required on site each week. Occasional travel is also required within Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota, as well as to national conferences - approximately 3-5 overnight trips in a year.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The salary range for this position is $57,500 - 65,000 and has an onsite work location designation, with the opportunity for remote work. This is a full-time, 12 month annual renewable, academic/professional position. Minitex offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits and moving allowance available.
TO APPLY: Position available immediately. Applications will be accepted until filled. Primary consideration will be given to those received by August 29th, 2021. Submit a letter of application addressing how you meet each of the required qualifications; a resume; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of three current professional references at http://z.umn.edu/ulib419. Click on External Applicants. Enter 342437 in the “Search Jobs” box. Please identify the cover letter with UL419.
The University of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer