Text courtesy of the Minnesota Library Association.
ITEM membership voted to merge with and become a division of the Minnesota Library Association starting in 2022.
ITEM will join the Public Library Division and Academic and Research Libraries Divisions to promote the development of libraries, library services, library governance, and librarianship, with a representative on the MLA Board.
The MLA Board is eager to welcome ITEM members. We believe the collaboration will greatly impact our joint ability to help libraries accomplish together what none can do alone and ensure a future where libraries thrive, through their continued mission to provide leadership and service by promoting professional growth, facilitating collaboration among its members, establishing standards, and advocating for 21st-century learners.
Some of the benefits of the merger for MLA and ITEM members include:
- Greater leadership, engagement, and educational opportunities
- Increase opportunities for cross-library collaboration, partnership, advocacy, and learning.
- Increase voice of Educators in the Legislative process
- Increase networking opportunities
- Increase the strength of our collective organization
The MLA Board, the ITEM Board and MLA Staff will be working over the next several months to finalize and implement a transition plan.