Text courtesy of the University of Minnesota Libraries
The University of Minnesota Libraries invites applications for a liaison librarian who is excited to collaborate with scholars in the humanities and across the University utilizing Chinese, Korean, and Japanese Language materials and the East Asian Library. We seek applicants who are energized by the opportunity to work with creative and innovative colleagues. The position will primarily support the scholarship of students, faculty, and staff affiliated with the Asian and Middle Eastern Studies department and the Institute of Linguistics. Liaison librarians combine skills in outreach, teaching, technology, and collection development with their knowledge of scholarly practices in assigned disciplines to partner with academic departments.
This position is part of the Area Studies & Humanities department and reports to the Area Studies & Humanities Director. The Libraries’ culture is deeply collaborative, and the Libraries rely on the diverse expertise of library staff to work on strategic initiatives and service development. The successful candidate will participate in intraorganizational groups that tackle evolving information challenges. The individual in this role will also contribute to the knowledge base of the profession through research, publication, and professional engagement, as they work toward continuous appointment status.
The University Libraries is an integral part of campus life. Recognized in 2017 with the IMLS National Medal, the Libraries is a significant contributor of resources and programs within the metropolitan area, the state, and beyond. The Libraries provides a highly collaborative environment, distinguished by new models for teaching/learning, research support, and scholarly communication.
The Libraries is known for its advanced web services, significant collaborative digital library development, and a record of innovative partnerships. Outreach is strengthened by unparalleled infrastructure for resource sharing and information access within the state and region provided by the University Libraries-based Minitex program. The Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Big Ten Academic Alliance, the Center for Research Libraries, the Digital Library Federation, and the Coalition for Networked Information, and is a founding partner in the HathiTrust.
- Develop strong relationships with faculty, and staff affiliated with the Asian and Middle Eastern Studies department and the Institute of Linguistics, identifying opportunities for deeper partnerships.
- Integrate information literacy and other research skills in the departmental curriculum.
- Connect scholars at all levels with the expertise they need to be more effective researchers through strong outreach, research consultations, and excellence in teaching.
- Build and manage collections and services that advance the work of disciplines supported by the East Asian Librarian with attention to cross-disciplinary and collaborative collection development opportunities.
- Support the full lifecycle of student and faculty research through connecting scholars with information on researcher identity and impact management; research dissemination options; research material management; open access; and copyright.
- In conjunction with the Access Services Department, shape the East Asian Library to be a hub of activity and resources for researchers in the Twin Cities.
- Contribute to the goals and strategic initiatives of the Libraries through leadership of and/or active participation in committees.
- Add to professional scholarship through research.
This is a full-time, 12-month, continuous-appointment track, academic professional position with probationary appointment at the Assistant or Associate Librarian level. The salary range for this position is $57,500 - $75,000. The Libraries offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits and substantial moving allowance.
To learn more and apply for these positions, go to the University of Minnesota employment website and search for the Job ID 342434.