Text courtesy of Katy Gabrio, Associate Library Director, Macalester College DeWitt Wallace Library
Macalester College DeWitt Wallace Library seeks to hire a full-time Metadata Librarian. The Metadata Librarian creates, maintains, and enriches the metadata for Macalester’s digital, physical, and virtual collections. They serve in a critical role for making our collections discoverable and accessible using tools such as the ILS (currently WorldShare Management System) and digital asset management systems (currently Digital Commons and ContentDM). They work collaboratively with our Archivist to support sustainable print and digital archives collections and initiatives in line with our mission. The Metadata Librarian works closely with our Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication Librarian in support of metadata needs, instruction, and best practices for digital projects, publishing, and digital collection platforms and repositories. They bring and advocate for an inclusive, anti-racist, and anti-bias lens to the work of describing and creating access points to information resources, information platforms, algorithms, and systems. The Metadata Librarian serves as a member of the Collection Development and Discovery team and reports to the CD&D Associate Library Director.
- Demonstrate a commitment to access, equity, diversity, and inclusion, including through remediation of institutional biases inherent in cataloging and metadata work.
- Holds primary responsibility for complex and original cataloging and classifies materials in all formats, following accepted national cataloging and metadata standards. Stays abreast of existing and evolving cataloging and metadata standards (e.g. RDA, MARC21 formats, AACR2r, LCSH, LCC, BIBFRAME, FRBR, Dublin Core, EAD, METS, MODS, etc.) and shares this knowledge with library colleagues.
- Implements and supports metadata strategies associated with digital initiatives and projects: collaborates in the evaluation of existing workflows and processes, utilizes interoperable metadata standards, and applies creative strategies and sustainable solutions for resource description and discovery.
- Serves as a metadata consultant for digitization projects, including but not limited to advising on metadata standards and assisting in development and implementation of best practices, tools, procedures and workflows for metadata creation.
- Promotes and fosters partnerships with library colleagues involved in digital projects, special collections, continuing resources, and public services.
- Works with colleagues to strategically assess metadata quality; plans and coordinates metadata enhancement and remediation to address better discovery for library users; advises on data migration and harvesting projects; and advises on system migrations.
- Conducts and collaborates on library instruction related to the consideration and use of metadata.
- In collaboration with Library colleagues, maintains proper functioning of the ILS and other library systems and platforms, including discovery layers, and digital collections platforms.
- Attention to detail, high level of accuracy, and ability to perform work in a timely manner based on local and industry standards as well as library and community demands.
- Creates and maintains local documentation on metadata standards and application guidelines; develops and provides training to library staff regarding resource description, metadata remediation and metadata management.
- May assist with directing student employee workflow and training.
- Masters in Library and Information Science from a program accredited by the American Library Association (ALA) or from a program in a country with a formal accreditation process as identified by ALA.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply accepted national cataloging and metadata standards, practices, and original cataloging including experience cataloging materials through a utility, such as OCLC, in an integrated library system environment.
- Knowledge of best practices and trends in the profession and in areas of cataloging and metadata.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to deepen knowledge and practice of all aspects of this position over time.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- 2+ years of applied cataloging and metadata experience.
- Demonstrated organizational, assessment, project management, process improvement, and problem solving skills.
- Proven experience working effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities showing initiative and flexibility and an ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment.
To be considered, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage by May 16, 2021. Review of applications will begin immediately, we will continue to accept applications until the position has been filled.
All inquiries about this position should be directed to Ashley Ellingson, Talent Acquisition Manager: email@example.com
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester College has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit Macalester Benefits for more information about what Macalester has to offer its employees.