Text courtesy of Michelle Twait, Professor and Academic Librarian, Gustavus Adolphus College
We’re hiring! Gustavus Adolphus College invites applications for a full-time, one-semester position of Academic Librarian at the Visiting Instructor rank (or Visiting Assistant Professor with appropriate qualifications) in the Folke Bernadotte Memorial Library to begin January 4, 2021 and ending May 31, 2021. This is a one-semester sabbatical replacement position.
Gustavus Adolphus College is a private liberal arts college in Saint Peter, Minn., that prepares over 2,200 undergraduates for lives of leadership, service, and lifelong learning. Fully accredited and known for its strong science, writing, music, athletics, study-away, and service-learning programs, Gustavus hosts a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa and is internationally recognized for its annual Nobel Conference.
- ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS, or who will have the degree finished prior to the start date.
- Experience working in an academic library, including reference, instruction, and collection development.
- Knowledge of trends affecting academic libraries.
- As we are a teaching library, candidates must have demonstrated effectiveness in instruction, especially for undergraduates.
- Experience working with special collections, rare books, and/or archives.
- The ability to create inclusive learning environments for an increasingly diverse student body will be an important characteristic of the successful candidate.
- A second master’s degree is not required for the position, but will be required for the Visiting Assistant Professor rank.
Application Procedures: To apply, visit https://gustavus.edu/jobs and complete the online application. The documents that must be uploaded include the following:
- Letter of application that addresses the position qualifications;
- Curriculum vitae;
- A brief (one page) statement of teaching philosophy;
- Transcripts (scanned copies acceptable); and
- The names and contact information for three professional references (at least one must be able to address teaching experience and teaching effectiveness; please indicate the teaching reference in your letter of application). Please do not ask references to submit letters of recommendation; the committee will conduct reference checks by phone.
For full consideration, applications must be received by Monday, October 12, 2020. While applications may be accepted after this date, it is not guaranteed that they will be considered. Incomplete applications will not be considered by the search committee.