Text courtesy of Shelby E. Harken, Head of Technical Services, University of North Dakota
University of North Dakota is hiring a Cataloging Library Associate for copy cataloging.
Provide library users accurate online access to library materials through ODIN’s LSP (Alma/Primo) by doing Copy Cataloging using OCLC, AACR and RDA cataloging rules, LCSH, and LC according to standards. Verify ordered materials and distribute to other catalogers as appropriate. Perform catalog maintenance and quality assurance tasks to ensure online bibliographic, item, and authority records are maintained or updated according to standards; ensure online collocation within the collections; process materials accordingly. Participate in special, re-cataloging, and metadata crosswalks projects. Participate in library and departmental activities.
- Associates degree in library science or relevant area of study
- Experience in copy cataloging using OCLC
- Experience using a library services platform (LSP) online library system to perform technical services activities.
- Provide 3 references.
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check
- Working knowledge of bibliographic description and assignment of name, subject, series and uniform title headings applying AACR/RDA rules in MARC formats.
- Cataloging experience with multiple formats.
- Experience performing technical services activities in an academic library.
- Experience maintaining various bibliographic, item, holdings, serials, and acquisitions database records to current standards.
- Experience with computer applications (word processing, spreadsheets) and web resources and the ability to integrate them in workflow.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse groups of library staff.
- Good organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to implement rules, procedures, practices or operations.
- Able to use standard office equipment such as computers, specialized software effectively.
- Ability to use a Library Services Platform and related online or networked software.
To learn more and apply, visit the University of North Dakota careers website. Job ID: 6339
Applications are open through Nov. 13, 2019