Text courtesy of DPLA.
The Digital Public Library of America seeks a leader to help it further its mission to advance equitable access to knowledge for all in the digital age.
Initiated in 2010, the Digital Public Library of America works with place-based cultural organizations throughout the country with a shared goal of providing access to a rich and diverse collection of materials. DPLA has established a national network of hubs that provide the organizational and community structure for participation in the DPLA network. The network represents over 4,000 cultural heritage institutions throughout the country.
The DPLA Community Manager will lead efforts to ensure that cultural heritage institutions across the U.S. have a collective digital presence. The position would include the following duties:
- Identify and develop services, partnerships, and products that support the work of our hubs and contributing organizations
- Support the high-quality metadata aggregation standards and processes that have been a hallmark of the network
- Oversee the organization’s collaboration with the network and its advisory bodies and working groups
- Represent the organization and network at conferences and other events
- Recruit, manage, and onboard new hubs to the DPLA network
- Build and maintain relationships with institutions through collaboration with DPLA staff and partner organizations
- Investigate future hub models and network models
- Provide training and advisement on the core operations of the DPLA Hubs including digitization, aggregation, metadata standards and practice, rights status determination, and the human resources required to carry out these activities
10+ years related job experience; demonstrated leadership role with external organizations; excellent communication, written, and presentation skills; budget management; managing vendors; metadata standards and practices; project management
Membership program management; digital library management; public or academic library work experience
MS or related experience; Master of Library Science preferred
The ideal candidate will also possess the ability to work collaboratively in a distributed, team-based environment; excellent communication skills and strong customer service orientation. The position will require moderate travel.
DPLA is strongly committed to diversity in all of its forms. We provide a full set of benefits, including health care, life and disability insurance, and a retirement plan. Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, send a letter of interest detailing your qualifications, resume, and a list of 3 references in a single PDF to email@example.com. Application review will begin August 1 and will continue until the position is filled.