Minitex presents this one-day, in-person workshop on making use of RDA in an original cataloging context. Training will focus on practical cataloging matters, with further comments on RDA's structure (where do I find the rule?), its connections to AACR2 (what's changed? what hasn't?), FRBR (what's WEMI got to do with it?), and the future. To these ends, we will revisit FRBR, then step our way through the RDA text to build bibliographic records and access points for a variety of monographic materials. We will also delve into RDA's depictions of relationships and the roles these play in our cataloging. Hands-on exercises round out the training.
Who Should Attend?
Catalogers who are familiar with AACR2 original cataloging practices and still learning RDA; preference for those with experience creating original bibliographic records for monographs in common formats (e.g., print, video, audio). (Serials and integrating resources will only be covered briefly.)
1. Introductory workshops and/or webinars on RDA copy cataloging (e.g., the Minitex RDA Cataloging Basics webinars)
2. Some familiarity with the RDA text (either through the RDA Toolkit or via RDA Print) and the LC-PCC Policy Statements
3. Some knowledge of FRBR; additional knowledge of FRAD is optional
4. Familiarity with AACR2 practices for description and headings
5. Familiarity with the MARC21 format for bibliographic records; some familiarity with the MARC21 format for authority records is preferred but optional