Currently Offered Sessions
No sessions currently scheduled.
Have you ever longed for a big picture understanding of the Electronic Library for Minnesota? Have you ever wished to have a confident and complete knowledge of the ELM databases including a proficiency in searching techniques and application? Have you ever just had a cravin' to learn more about ELM? If you answered 'yes' to any of these questions, then this four-part series, ELM: The Big Picture, is for you! Join Minitex Reference Outreach & Instruction for this NEW series offered over an eight-week period. Each session is two-hours long, Thursdays/every other week starting on October 6, 2011.
These sessions will have some interactivity. Please expect to participate. Each registrant will be given a copy of any accompanying materials including some light practice work to consider in preparation for each session.
Attention will be given to highlighting searching tips & techniques, special features, suggested applications, and any interface updates. Bring your questions! There will be ample time for Q&A throughout the webinar. Each webinar will have a 5-7 minute break.
[October 6] PART 1: All About EBSCO (2 hours)
This two-hour webinar will take a close look at several of the EBSCO databases in the ELM collection. This will be done in three parts:
1) A selection of databases operating with the EBSCOhost interface;
a. Academic Search Premier
b. Business Source Premier
c. MasterFILE Premier
2) A grouping of databases that specifically provide health and medical content;
a. Consumer Health Complete
3) A collection of K-12 databases operating with interfaces designed for students.
a. Student Research Center
b. Points of View Reference Center
[October 20] PART 2: All About Gale/Cengage Learning (2 hours)
This two-hour webinar will take a close look at several of the Gale/Cengage Learning databases in the ELM collection. This will be done in two parts:
1) A grouping of databases operating with the PowerSearch interface;
a. Educator’s Reference Complete
b. General Science Collection
2) A collection of K-12 databases operating with interfaces intentionally designed for students.
a. Student Resources in Context
b. Kids InfoBits
[November 3] PART 3: All About Britannica & OCLC (2 hours)
This two-hour webinar will take a close look at all of the Britannica databases and a selection of OCLC resources in the ELM collection. This will be done in two parts:
1) A grouping of Britannica databases that are specifically designed for K-12 and college students as well as the general public;
a. Britannica Online School Edition
b. Britannica Online Academic Edition
c. Britannica Online Public Library Edition
2) A grouping of OCLC databases operating with the FirstSearch interface and a pairing of two OCLC databases operating on a unique platform.
a. OCLC FirstSearch Databases
[November 17] PART 4: All About ProQuest (2 hours)
This two-hour webinar will take a close look at the ProQuest resources in the ELM collection. This will be done in two parts:
1) An in-depth orientation to ProQuest Newsstand Complete highlighting the all-new platform;
2) Focused review of local and historical newspaper titles.
a. Star Tribune, St. Paul Pioneer Press, St. Cloud Times, Sioux Falls Argus-Leader
b. The Historical Minneapolis Tribune (1867-1922)
Who Should Attend?
Anyone interested in gaining a holistic understanding of the ELM resources.