Minitex invites applications for a Reference Outreach & Instruction Librarian
The position offers the opportunity to serve libraries across the Minitex region in support of large-scale collaborative projects. We seek a librarian to contribute to local, regional, and national projects with libraries, library consortia, and other partners; and to contribute to outreach and instruction on statewide resources including the Electronic Library for Minnesota (ELM), AskMN, and Ebooks MN.
This position works within the Reference Outreach & Instruction unit of Minitex. Minitex is a program of the MN Office of Higher Education and the University of Minnesota Libraries, with offices on the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities campus. Minitex is a network of libraries of all types across Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
We are seeking a positive, proactive professional to help connect Minitex resources into multiple environments through outreach and instruction, including: K-12 schools, public libraries, academic libraries, cultural heritage organizations, adult education programs, and workforce centers. The successful candidate will primarily focus on the Minitex resources ELM, AskMN, and Ebooks MN. The candidate will also contribute planning and communication to collaborative projects such as SimplyE for Consortia, an IMLS-funded ebook application development project.
- Master's degree from an ALA accredited library school or an advanced degree with relevant experience.
- Demonstrable skills providing library instruction or the equivalent to varied audiences.
- Experience with outreach to organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to collaborative projects.
- Demonstrated high quality communication skills.
- Work experiences in multiple types of libraries.
- Professional experience teaching online resources.
- Professional experience working with ebook platforms, processes, or vendors.
Responsibilities of the Reference Outreach & Instruction Librarian
- Utilizing expertise in instructional design practice, develops learning materials and instructional classes in a variety of formats.
- Designs instruction to meet the learning needs of widely varying audiences, from academic librarians to classroom teachers to middle school students to lifelong learners.
- Creates and presents instructional materials both in-person and online.
- Pursues and develops partnerships with consortia, libraries, library and education organizations, K-12 schools, university academic programs, and community education groups.
- Seeks speaking engagements, conference presentations and exhibits, and other opportunities to address community groups to educate and inform them of available resources, including ELM, AskMN, and other Minitex projects.
- Contributes to the goals and strategic initiatives of Minitex through active participation in collaboratives, projects, and working groups. Current projects involve ebooks, ebook reading apps, open access scholarly material, and library publishing.
- Provides reference and research service on-demand through 24/7 statewide reference service AskMN.
- Designs, implements, and maintains digital tools that integrate ELM and other Minitex resources in support of teaching, learning, and research objectives.
- Engages with the library community and partners via written communication, conference presentations, social media, and instructional offerings.
This is a full-time, 12-month, annual renewable, academic professional position at the Assistant Librarian rank.
More about Minitex
Minitex is a publicly supported consortium of academic, public, school and special libraries in Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota that work cooperatively to enhance the libraries' services to their patron communities. Minitex's suite of services promotes effective delivery of needed information, partnerships, and sharing library resources.
Some of the collaborative projects Minitex is working on, that the Reference Outreach & Instruction Librarian would contribute to, include:
Our annual reports and mission, vision, and guiding principles are also available on this website.
Minitex is a joint program of the Office of Higher Education and the University of Minnesota, and operates as a division of the University Libraries. We are based at the University of Minnesota, and located on the West Bank of the Twin Cities Campus.
The University of Minnesota Libraries recently received a National Medal for Library Service from IMLS, and Minitex contributed to that achievement.
Come join us!
How to apply
For a full job description and to apply please use the following link:
The position is available immediately and the application process is open until filled. Reference Job No. UL378 and Job ID# 318412 when applying.